Sunday, January 29, 2012

0 to 13.1: What I learned from my first Half Marathon

On January 29, 2012 I ran my first Half Marathon, the ING in Miami as a member of Team World Vision.
I've never been a "runner". I prefer real sports where there is a decisive winner...not to mention that I am not genetically inclined to running long distances.

Despite these factors, I signed up with Team World Vision to raise money for clean water projects in Haiti.
It was definitely a good decision.  I learned from the experience, made some new friends, and our team raised a lot of money for projects in Haiti (around $45, 000).

Here is what I learned from the race:

If you're going to run a race, join a team.
Running alone is the worst.  You lose motivation, you get bored, and you have accountability.

If you join a team, join one that shares at least some of your schedule.
My team trained during times I couldn't join them, so I missed out on a lot of help from them.

Vaseline is your friend, use liberally.
I had always wondered what the directions for Vaseline meant when they state "apply as needed"...application will be needed before and after runs.

Music.
It helps take your mind off the distance and challenge and can help drive you.
May I suggest the song "All the Things I've done" by the Killers as a solid power song?

Nip-guards.

Good shoes help.
I don't like buying things, but good running shoes help tremendously.

The race itself is a great time for prayer.
I asked for songs from friends to add to my race playlist and prayed for them when their song came up (or when a song I already had on my playlist came up)

The race is a study in butts.
You will be behind people the entire time (pun intended).  Unless you face skyward, you will be starring at more butts than you ever wanted to. Big butts, small butts, nice butts, not-so-nice butts.  All kinds.  Fear not if you have a problem with a mind that wanders when confronted with butts, there is more on your mind (like survival and breathing) than anything inappropriate.

Hydrate.
Race day and during training.

Don't use running as an excuse to eat terribly.
Use it as an excuse to better yourself and your body throughout.

Do it for something bigger than yourself.
Raise money for something you're passionate about.  It'll make the race more of a mission for you, rather than just an activity.  World Vision is a fine organization if I do say so myself.



-peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment