Sunday, August 21, 2011

women... part 1 of many i'm sure

As I get older and remain single I learn more about myself, what I want in a relationship, and what God wants for me in both areas along the way.

In many ways I feel I've thrown off the desires to hastily get into any relationship that presents itself just because I long to be in one, but also look for the opportunity to be a man, step up to the plate, and make something happen when it is presented.  This is a fine line that I find very difficult to navigate (making and letting things happen).

One realization I have come to throughout my journeys in knowing and pursuing women is the fact that my "list" of "needs" (that being things and qualities a woman must have for me to consider her a viable option) gets shorter and shorter over time.  When I was in college my list consisted of things so specific, I would have only been able to date a female version of myself.  No one could live up to the criteria.  As of late, while my list has not gotten down to just one or two simple, and of course Godly, things, it is much more manageable.

Ultimately I would love to have someone to come along side of me in every aspect of life; ministry, social outings, random life adventures, and the like whom stands for the same things I do (making Christ's name known, loving others, and enjoying time on this green planet while we have it).  I find all the minor details I used to get worked up over insignificant.  Do I still long deep within me to marry a woman that loves college football as much as me? Yes, of course.  Is that the, or even a, determining factor that makes or breaks a girl for me? No...not any more (it used to be).

I may never find a girl that loves all the same music that I do, shares my affection for all things bacon, or even knows how football "works".

As it says in Proverbs 31:1a
"A wife of noble character, who can find?"

Well I sure haven't found her, but I sure as heck am looking.

In the end God has a plan for my future in this area of life we call "love" and even though it may not look as storybook as I'd like it to, I'm fine with that because He knows these things a lot better than I do. He did create the whole thing after all.


-peace

1 comment:

  1. This makes me chuckle. I can't stand to watch sports and Chris loves it. But I like to play them so we still have lots of activities to enjoy together. I love country music and he loathes it. You're so right--there are primary and secondary issues. We're a useful team for the gospel. I'll be praying for you a wife who shares your passion--the big important one. I mean it ...so don't be surprised if after praying I start making suggestions;)

    ReplyDelete